Happy New Year!! Yet again, we find ourselves at the start of a new year which gives hope for many people trying to grasp onto a healthier lifestyle. While I love the idea of setting goals by stating new year’s resolutions, I’m not so crazy about the resolutions that are focused on weight loss. I love the prospect of a healthier you, but I’m not so crazy about the whole “new and better” you that we’ve adopted. Let’s say that you’re perfect as is and we just want to work on making healthier choices to improve our quality of life. Sound good? Great! Since I know y’all love a detox, here’s my five day Desir-tox to get you jump started towards a healthier future. As long as you have a fully functional liver and kidneys, you’ll be detoxing like a champ without much effort at all!
I have several guidelines for you and I will be posting daily workout challenges on my Instagram account (@fitdesiree) starting on Monday, January 4, 2016 so play along and see what you can do! I recommend going grocery shopping this weekend to prepare for Monday and for your success. Take pics/video of your workouts or nutrition choices and add #Desirtox to hold yourself accountable and so your friends can give you virtual support!
• Drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. (Ex. if you weigh 150 pounds, you will drink 75 ounces of water per day.)
• Eat breakfast. (Even if it’s just a piece of fruit with 1 Tbsp of peanut butter or a glass of skim milk, something is better than nothing!)
• Eat every three hours. (It doesn’t need to be a giant meal and it doesn’t need to be three almonds. Caloric intake varies from person to person, but keep in mind that if you are a fully grown, generally healthy adult, a diet of less than 1300 calories should be medically supervised.)
• Eat at least two servings of veggies every day.
• Eat at least two servings of fruit every day.
• Do not add salt to any of your food.
• No sweets or added sugars! (Cookies, cakes, ice cream, candy, refined sugar, etc.)
• No soda! (Neither regular nor diet.)
• No alcohol! (All alcohol has 7 kcal per gram and is metabolized to fat in your body.)
• Eat only low fat dairy products. (No full fat dairy products.)
• No white flour foods. (Choose whole grain pastas, breads, and cereals, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, black rice, etc for your carbohydrates.)
• No fried foods. (Try steaming, grilling, or baking instead.)
• Do at least three minutes of meditation daily. (You don’t need to be Gandhi or a Jedi warrior to meditate properly. Just find a quiet place to sit with your eyes closed or with a soft gaze for at least three minutes. You will find that just three minutes can help you to destress and refresh! There are several apps that serve as meditation timers, but you can also set a timer on your phone with a gentle alert.)
• Do the daily workout challenge that I post on my Instagram account. (This is in addition to any physical activity you already have planned 😀 )
Don’t make yourself crazy with your nutrition. There is no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to healthy eating. You have to figure out what works for you. Lean meats, legumes, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits, low fat dairy products, and whole grains are your best choices. It is not always about making the healthiest choice, it is often just about making the healthier choice. If you slip and have a piece of cake, don’t stress! Jump back on the Desirtox plan at your next meal and keep your focus going forward. Here’s to a happier and healthier new year! May the force of a healthier lifestyle be with you. (Sorry for the Star Wars references…I just watched Episodes IV, V, and VI this week for the first time in my life and I’m totally geeking out about it. #latebloomer)